Sunday, October 28, 2007

Sunday afternoon

I'm sleepily getting ready for the week ahead. It was a fun weekend, and probably I should go to bed early. Too bad it's game 4 of the World Series and the Red Sox are winning 3-0. I've been up until 12 or 1 am for the past couple of nights enjoying the wins.

Here's why else I'm tired...

Friday night I went out with a co-worker and some of her friends to see some body's brother singing in his band. I met a possible roller blading buddy who attends UVA and is working on a grad degree in science something or other. I'm excited to have a connection with a student at UVA. I've been thinking about what I might like to go back to grad school for.

Yesterday all the half-pint citizens came out in their Halloween garb to attend an event down town promoting a safe Halloween. Some highlights included: a whimsical pumpkin costume, a swarm of teenage mutant ninja turtles, a pirate who's sword was twice his size (dragging on the ground behind him), many Dorothy's with red ruby slippers (Toto too!), and a cowboy riding a duck (top of costume, cowboy shirt/hat, costume with faux legs on a duck; bottom of costume the duck legs). I wish I had a picture to share of the last costume!

Mid way through Friday's concert, we were invited to sponsor a child living in poverty and given the opportunity to give our lives to the Lord. These invitations feel phony and abrasive to me. Is it not possible to attend such a concert for the sole sake of listening to good music? My guess is no, because part the belief centers around ministering to people and sharing God's word. Knowing that doesn't make it feel any less intrusive. Ah, well. I still had fun.

Back to my laundry!

4 comments:

~~~ said...

Yippie! Your blog is the best thing that's happened to me all day!!!!

Amy said...

Hi my seeester :-)

I'm glad you have a blog now too, and that you've figured out how to work it (at least it appears that way)!

I'm curious though, what was intrusive about the invitation at the concert? It's hard for me to understand your perspective since I'm sort of "on the other side," but I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. Also, who performed? December Radio was one you said, right? Any others you remember?

Thanks! I'm excited to read your updates!!!

Lisa said...

I have pseudo figured out this blogging thing. Thanks for your excitement Raphaelle! :-)

As for your curiousity Amy...

It feels intrusive when it's presented as an invitation but there are strings attached. "I hate to say it, but if you don't accept this invitation, y'all are going to burn in hell." Remember, I live in the South now...

It makes me angry. It makes me not want to listen to another word that's said. It pushes me away from the very thing they believe so fervently in.

LIVE it and stop trying to force it down my throat.

Anyway, that's how I feel.

Other bands were Nevertheless, Superhero, and BOFS (don't ask me what that means, that's all that's written on my ticket).

Any plans for Halloween??

Amy said...

Sorry for my lack of response...

I understand what you are saying with the way it was presented. But, I think the gospel is offensive no matter how you say it, isn't it? I mean, it's telling people that they are sinners who deserve hell... but the point is to recognize that there is hope to be found in Jesus Christ. Still, I think it can be presented in a more sensitive way.

I'm unsure though how in that context a person can live what they are saying. Or, how they aren't living what they are saying. Chances are you won't see them (meaning the members of the bands) live their "regular" lives.

Can you think of a less offensive way for them to share the gospel, if that is what they choose to do?

I've never heard of those other three bands either. I must really be out of the "contemporary" Christian music scene!