Friday, January 4, 2008

Reflecting

The only real security is the ability to build your own fires and find your own peace. ~Audrey Sutherland, kayaker and writer.

This was the final quote I read in my 2007 daily calendar of quotes. It sits on my desk where the calendar stand once was, reminding me to continue on the journey of finding my own peace.

If someone could have told me about all the things that would happen in 2007 a year ago, I would have laughed in disbelief. Of course, "it all works out in the end," and all that, and I'm sure 2008 will be no different.

I've met such amazing, generous, and insightful people. I'm so thankful for the supportive network of friends! At the same time, it's as if I've re-met myself and remembered all the things I so love to do and have done them with reckless abandon. I daresay there's no going back! From time to time, I surprise myself with courage I didn't realize was nestled in my soul. It's beautiful what happens when you surround yourself with people who encourage and love you!

When I was in college, I worked for a time as a tour guide for perspective students. When they seemed nervous or anxious, I would encourage them (as I was encouraged at their age) to try to enjoy visiting new places, meeting new people, and exploring... I don't know if they really listened to my unsolicited advise, and I know I had a hard time with it when I received it... but I think I am finally understanding the extent of that message and actually applying it in my life. It took me long enough!

2 comments:

~~~ said...

it's true, you are very courageous.

~~~ said...

your fans want an update!