Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Still there...

The bird blasting, that is. If anyone was curious. The rain is defnitely helping.

I'm taking a really interesting online course on cultural proficiency. It's halfway through the six-week course, and I'm realizing how un-culturally proficient I am. The second half will have us talk about action steps to take and I'm hoping will help.

I'm also hoping that realizing there's room for improvement will lend itself to filling some of that space with improved understanding and knowledge.

An article that I found interesting was called White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack by Peggy McIntosh. I think you can google it if you've never read it. And if I were more blog-savy I would link you there. More room for improvement ;-)

Spell check is not functioning tonight, so no comments on my spelling errors.

2 comments:

~~~ said...

Wow! I read that article when I was a grant writer and I think about it so much in my work as a/an (which one is it?) historian. This is for work, no? There is a really neat book called The Making of Whiteness -- if you get interested in the topic, I'll send it to you -- it's about the historical construction of race as a category -- about the ways that Jews and the Irish became "white" in the 20th century (previously they weren't defined as white but they weren't entirely not white either). It's such an interesting piece of American history.

Mike's face is swollen up again, but otherwise we're doing OK.

Lisa said...

Yeah an online course for work. I don't believe I've mentioned how much MORE work it is than I expected.

I think it's part of why I am feeling so darn tired this week - I keep thinking about and noticing instances where I'm being... culturally deficient? As opposed to proficient? (I've heard "an historian" as well as "a historian" I can ask our grant writer which is right cause I don't know!).

I'll definitely let you know about the book you mentioned. Right now I'm feeling totally overwhelmed, but it sounds really interesting.

Mike's swollen-up-ness explains why, perhaps he didn't return my call last week. I hope you guys can figure out what that's about. And let us know!